Saturday, May 12, 2007

Mother's Day Breakfast

This morning, I was surprised with a "breakfast in bed". This is a tradition that Carlton and the kids do the Saturday before Mother's Day. Menu: Pancakes with chocolate whip cream, eggs and oatmeal. And of course, hot earl grey tea! Hannah Grace and Noah were so excited to be able to 'eat in bed' with me. Carlton kept saying "Let Mom eat" but Noah couldn't stand it, and just had to eat with his mommy. This Mother's Day, I am overwhelmed by the love a mother can feel for her children. I think about the love Christ has for us, a perfect love, and being a mother has allowed me to catch a very small glimpse of Christ's love is for his own children.
I have been reading "Stepping Heavenward' by Elizabeth Prentiss. On page 258, one of my favorite parts of the book. Katy, the main character in the book, was talking with Martha about being a mother for the second time. Martha has a different view of being a mother. Katy says in response in her journal: " She says I shall now have one mouth more to fill, and two feet the more to shoe; more disturbed nights, more laborious days, and less leisure for visiting, reading, music, and drawing. Well! this is one side of the story, to be sure, but I look at the other. Here is a sweet, fragrant mouth to kiss, here are two more feet to make music with thier pattering about my nursery. Here is a soul to train for God, and the body in which it dwells is worthy all it will cost, since it is the abode of a kingly tenant. I may see less of friends but I have gained one dearer than them all, to whom, while I minister in Christs name, I make a willing sacrifice of what little leisure for my own recreation my other darlings had left me. Yes, my precious baby, you are welcome to your mother's heart, welcome in her time, her strength, her health, her most tender cares, to her life-long prayers! Oh, how rich I am, how truly , how wondrously blest!!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: